Helpful safety tips for new homeowners in Hagerstown
If you just bought your first home or you’re preparing to, congratulations! It’s a wonderful time for you and your family. You might be considering how you can customize your property with paint, furnishings, and decor. But, before you go all-in on redecorating, make certain you consider home security as well. Keeping your loved ones protected should always be a top priority, and we’ll show you the way with the following safety tips for new homeowners in Hagerstown.
Complete a safety review of your new Hagerstown property
Now that safety is at the forefront, see what your new home already has. To begin, ensure you have functioning smoke alarms. Inspect all of them and switch out batteries if necessary. Are there CO detectors? Do you need a water sensor downstairs? This is also a smart time to upgrade door locks and check all window locks. Go through each room and scope out your property.
Smart security tips for your Hagerstown home
Once you’ve finished your initial investigation of locks and safety alarms, you may consider elevating your property’s safety. Get started with these security tips for your home in Hagerstown.
- Install a modern home security system. One of the top tools for new homeowners in Hagerstown is a home security system. Modern wireless advancements let you keep tabs on your residence even when you’re not there. You may view up-to-the-second video footage, engage locking systems, and even communicate with guests on your front steps directly from your mobile device. You can even personalize your defense with worthwhile security implements such as video surveillance and monitored safety alarms.
- Upgrade outside lights. Outdoor lights with motion sensors are a smart solution in discouraging possible intruders. You may even incorporate them with surveillance cameras. The tripping of a motion detector can tell your video equipment to start recording.
- Take care of your yard. Do you have an unobstructed sightline of your property through your windows? Are there large trees and bushes obstructing the view? Remove potential areas to hide by keeping your yard neat and tidy. Your neighbors will appreciate it as well.
- Meet folks in your area. One more thing about your neighbors, get acquainted with them. If you are friends with people nearby, they’ll be more likely to advise you if they see suspicious activity. You might also connect to your area’s social media page if one is established.
- Take advantage of home automation. If you install an advanced smart home, you can make it appear like you’re home by turning on smart light bulbs at scheduled times. This is a nice feature when you’re away.